Sushmita Banerji 1954—2010

Monday, August 23, 2010

Birthday wishes from Keerti

Dear Kavita,
I am deeply connecting with Sushmita on her birthday...just sitting quietly in my little terrace garden and watching the daylight slowly unfold this day . My thoughts drift to all the times that I have shared with her. 

I am thinking of the first time I met Sushmita, in Aruna's house in Tilonia in 1977. It was a rainy day in August. Amit and I had walked from the little Tilonia station to Aruna and Bunker's house in the old campus. We had gone to invite everyone for our wedding. We found Sushmita sitting on the jhoola chair in the living room...a small, unknown sparkling and intriguing presence...I remember it so well. She greeted us with a wisecrack as soon as we entered the room and followed it with her crackling, mischievous laughter.The picture is so vivid in my mind's eye...that was the beginning of my long friendship with her !

I am thinking back to her birthdays... those I was able to share...simple celebrations of togetherness with friends ! 

I miss her phone calls...the sharing of her little hopes... her little steps forward in her battle to conquer her illness, her persevering attempts to actualise her self.. to deal with living alone...sharing her little triumphs while at the same time underplaying her struggles. Yes, these phone calls had become such a part of my life... I wish had been there more for you Sushmita, and had not been so wrapped up in the humdrum of my life !

Today, when all of your friends get together in Jaipur to share your birthday Sushmita, my thoughts will be with you .

Happy Birthday Sushmita wherever you are !
May you find the peace that you truly deserve

With love
Keerti


No comments:

Post a Comment